Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Home Theater Round Two

So after the introduction post, let's get into some of the simpler ideas behind design.

  1. Don't get all worked up about HD, VGA, SVGA, HMDI, S-Video, 1080P, 1080I, 720r......here is my simple rule, if it looks good to you, bravo. It is about a series of tests for sizing focus and position. I have yet to have someone view either one of my screens and say "naaaa....not good enough"
  2. Keep the wiring simple and cheap. For 99% of us a RCA or S-Video cable will work just fine.
  3. It's all about the sound stupid!!!!!  Sound does not have to be expensive, it just has to have power and clarity. If your looking for an explanation on the Dolby SS systems, I am not your guy. I plug in, tinker with the settings, and away we go.

When creating an indoor theater, the wiring must be kept simple in order to keep it neat and easy to maintain. I am a tinkerer so I am always moving things around. Buy your cables online(suggestions below) , the big electronics chains will be over priced and not big enough. Here is what I have as a kick of parts for my unfinished basement home theater:



  1. Hitachi projector - 2400lumens - ebay - $425.00.....bulb had 600hrs on it when got it.....400hrs left, If I use it 8 hours a week(which is alot) I will get a year out of it. link for best bulb replacement site below
  2. Yamaha RX-V565 Receiver - Plenty of inputs and power - $299.00
  3. Speakers - 2 Yamaha bookshelf speaker and a KLH surround kit....1 center speaker and two cube rear......I had these speakers but I have seen good speaker kits for under $300
  4. Verizon Fios cable box.....$5.00 a month
  5. Sony mini DVD player......$39 at BJ's
  6. Screen is 2x4 wrapped with Black Out fabric.....kind of like felt.....$30 at JoAnn fabrics
  7. The actual projection surface is my unfinished concrete wall paint with Behr's Silver Screen paint....flat....at Home Depot
  8. The WII is connected as well but because of the depth of the room only works with some games
  9. I also have a dedicated media computer connected for my movie and music library
So, the screen is 9x7....not ideal ratio but with the restrictions of my basement....it works well


                                                              

                                           Computer projected(pretty cool with RF keyboard)

                                                             
                                                                     
                                                                 
                                                                                                                   

Recommended sites for components:

http://www.cablestogo.com/
http://www.purelandsupply.com/

Great reference site:
http://www.hometheaterblog.com/

Please let me know if you need help!!!!

Next post will be the incredible 22ft outdoor theater!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment